Coffee bags is one of the more inventive ways to make coffee. This is one of the methods used in Europe in the 17th and 18th century.
You will need a coffee filter as well as some string. You will be creating a coffee bag, much like a tea bag, to use to make your coffee without a coffee maker.
- Start with your coffee filter. Create a pouch in your hand: fold up the sides to allow a spoonful or two of coffee grounds to rest in the middle.
- Hold the coffee filter flat in one hand, add the grounds to the center of it, and then pull up the edges of the filter to create a makeshift pouch. You will then need to tie the string around the edges of the coffee filter, holding the coffee within it.
- Boil water. It is important to get the water to a rolling boil before moving forward.
- Place the coffee bag into the cup, slowly pour the water in.
- Allow the water to seep into the coffee bag. Wait for at least 5 minutes. The longer you wait, the stronger the coffee will be. Move the coffee bag around using the string to help this process.
- Discard the coffee bag. You can only use it one time to get the best results.
With this method, you will find it takes a bit of practice to get the grounds just right.